It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plow under - or wait til weather is cooler?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 am 

Most of my garden is done by now.... Some green tomatoes, still many jalapeno's, started picking those while they are still green if they are large enough, they are still hot, just a bit milder than if they turn red. My bell peppers didn't do well this year, they stayed pretty small... My question is I have a ton of banana peppers, and they are huge! However, they are not to be picked until they are yellow... This is the first year I put in banana peppers, so I am not sure if I should continue to wait since this week is supposed to be nice weather, or pick them now and let them ripen inside... Any suggestions? My father says it is time to just plow under everything, but with things still growing, I hesitate to do that. Suggestions are welcome - please!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Plow under - or wait til weather is cooler?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:56 am 

I would keep picking until it frosts. it is not that difficult to cann peppers. I wouldn't plow until mother nature indicates it.

http://www.voicesforella.org/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:27 pm 

There are many benefits to cleaning up your garden sometime in October, before it freezes. It saves you alot of work next spring and if done properly, you get rid of insect larvae that could be deterimental to your spring garden. By cleaning up of the old plants and putting them into your compost, then tilling the soil, the frost of winter will kill the bugs and the appearance of your garden plot will be much neater.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:52 pm 

What's the big rush? There'll still be plenty of decent weather days after the first frost & even the first freeze. This IS Kansas, by golly!

Last year I kept my garden going into December & still got clean-up/clear-out done in time for a fresh spring start.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:16 pm 

Well, I learned my lesson with red potatoes... I dug some around two weeks ago, and they were wonderful fried! (Probably clogged some heart arteries, but we all have to go sometime! lol) I waited to dig the second row, and there were grub worms galore! They didn't come out well at all... I did pick some of the really large banana peppers today, they are supposed to be really sweet, I haven't tasted them yet. Compared to the other greens, they do have the "yellowish green" tint to them. Someone told me to pick them and place them in a paper grocery bag shut tightly, they would go ahead and ripen rapidly that way. Has anybody ever heard of that??? My bell peppers came out ripe, and really small, next year I will use Miracle grow... I had to BUY peppers to stuff last night, and they, like everything else had gone so far up in price! Does anyone know if you can stuff my giant banana peppers the same way as the bells> Next year I *should* be more of a pro at this!
Any and all advice is welcome! I appreciate the input I have received already. I did start a compost, but still, any adive is appreciated! Thanks for the responses so far, I need advie on this!

Thanks Larryvillers! :howdy: :

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:55 am 

e26thterrace wrote:
What's the big rush? There'll still be plenty of decent weather days after the first frost & even the first freeze. This IS Kansas, by golly!

Last year I kept my garden going into December & still got clean-up/clear-out done in time for a fresh spring start.

Yeah well some people are all about apperences. I say get the most out of your garden. That is after all why we plant to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:36 am 

Update on my garden! We did take out a lot, tomatoes, the rest of potatoes... But, there are still so many peppers we left those rows growing. Those banana peppers ARE supposed to turn yellow, so as long as it is sunny, I am going to try and leave the bananas, habanero,, and jalapeno for at least a while longer. The rest of the garden is all plowed under, and I have already spread some kick-a$$ compost on it. I still have some compost so when the peppers are gone, there is enough to mix with the soil. We brought in the green tomatoes, some are ripening in the window, and the others are going to "fried green tomatoes". My garden did turn out pretty do think well this year,my bell peppers didn't get very big. I think for those who are interested, a vegitarian fry would be great! Only got a few egg plants though, but maybe some else did! One last picnic or something befor it gets cold? Any takers?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:17 pm 

where did you get your seeds for the banana peppers from? would like to grow those next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:49 am 

My father started growing everything from seed really early last year, he put grow lamps on his back porch. I will ask him where he got the starter seeds and post it. Leticia, I now know that those dang banana peppers should be more yellow than they are yet, so I am not sure what I will end up with, but I haven't plowed under yet. They are pretty big, so I keep thinkin that every day of sun they can get will quicken the process! I WILL let you know where the seeds came from though! :grin: (My dad had so much stuff growing under those lights, I was convinced at least one neighbor would call the police with suspicions of what kind of *parsley* he was growing! lol I guess they all knew him well enough to know it wouldn't be anything other than garden stuff... He started way too many plants though, so I just was the lucky recipient of his leftover plants...)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:52 pm 

My father got the Banana Pepper seeds from Walmart! He said they were dirt cheap and he started them under the growing light around the end of March. Hope that helps Leticia!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:23 pm 

ok thanks -- already planning my garden for next year!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:33 am 

Well, last night we heard the frost warnings and possible snow... I dashed to the garden and picked a bushel of peppers, all kinds! I didn't want to lose anything! It didn't frost, so we will see if any come back! I doubt it, but I just had to do it. Looks like completely plowing under is right around the corner! Oh well, we have frozen alot of the hot peppers, I imagine at least enough to last in recipes all through the winter. There are a TON of them. We tried the not quite yellow banana peppers, and they tasted just fine. All in all, my garden produced quite a bit this year, I am satisfied, you can't want more than that!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:09 am 

Kali wrote:
Well, last night we heard the frost warnings and possible snow... I dashed to the garden and picked a bushel of peppers, all kinds! I didn't want to lose anything! It didn't frost, so we will see if any come back! I doubt it, but I just had to do it. Looks like completely plowing under is right around the corner! Oh well, we have frozen alot of the hot peppers, I imagine at least enough to last in recipes all through the winter. There are a TON of them. We tried the not quite yellow banana peppers, and they tasted just fine. All in all, my garden produced quite a bit this year, I am satisfied, you can't want more than that!

How did you keep all the squirrels away from your peppers?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:39 pm 

I didn't know critters liked peppers! After the major pick, I still did find more a few days later. I do think though I will go ahead and plow under, I doubt I will get any more. (Miniatures perhaps that will not mature, but that doesn't really count!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:50 pm 

I just spent a couple hours clearin beds & preparing them for next season. Still have more to do in the back & all of the front, but figure I can work on it a little each evenings & o week ends until the cold weater sets in.