It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Features
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

What new features would you like to see on Larryville.com?

No, I will not build a computer controlled airsoft gun so you can shoot other members.

We can do a lot of other cool stuff though. A total of 960 man hours have been allocated to the Larryville.com/Lawrencian.com website re-vamp, so let us know how you think we should use it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:01 pm 

Well, the addition of moderators would be a new and much appreciated feature!! :lol:

But seriously..

A reporting feature already discussed would be nice and beneficial to the new moderators.

Ranking or Karma systems would be cool. Superfluous and shallow but cool.

Throw in a few more BBcodes we can play with as well. :grin: :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:32 pm 

I'd like to see an ignore user feature. Posters you place on it simply won't appear on your screen. I'm also thinking that could solve the complaints some have about some posters posting the same stuff multiple times. It could also keep meltdowns to a minimum. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:15 pm 

Quote:
I'd like to see an ignore user feature

Thats what I was going to suggest, Gern...

/shakes little fist back at Gern

Quote:
Throw in a few more BBcodes we can play with as well.

Oh, yea yea. The option to put imbedded videos in your posts would be cool.

Also, more smileys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 am 

I, too, like the "ignore poster" feature. Is such a thing possible?

Does admin have any preference as to whether old messages time out and fall off the board or are retained in perpetuity?

William Shakespeare
Julius Caesar, Act III, scene i

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:43 am 

Gern_Blanston wrote:
I'd like to see an ignore user feature. Posters you place on it simply won't appear on your screen. I'm also thinking that could solve the complaints some have about some posters posting the same stuff multiple times.

Some people just can't stand dissent.

B-O-O
H-O-O

Can you spell e-c-h-o c-h-a-m-b-e-r, boys and girls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 am 

This is a perfect example of why we need the ignore feature. Pilgrim has just attacked Gern for no obvious reason (not only that but he did it in a suggestions thread :roll: ). At least he didnt call Gern a "drunken Indian" this time.

I can see why pilgrim would be worried about the ignore option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:50 am 

Gazza wrote:
This is a perfect example of why we need the ignore feature. Pilgrim has just attacked Gern for no obvious reason (not only that but he did it in a suggestions thread :roll: ). At least he didnt call Gern a "drunken Indian" this time.

Never did. That was allupnya, and the description was dead solid perfect. You didn't know him, did you?

I thought not.

But back to the issue at hand. If you consider the above an "attack," maybe you shouldn't try to play with the adults.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:00 am 

Whoops. Sorry then, if it wasnt you. If that wasnt an attack, why be all douchy about it then? Seriously man, are you THAT angry at everyone here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 am 

Gazza wrote:
Whoops. Sorry then, if it wasnt you.

Yes, it was me, but the description was directed at allupnya, not Gern. And again, it was very accurate.

Quote:
If that wasnt an attack, why be all douchy about it then? Seriously man, are you THAT angry at everyone here?

Just don't want to see the place slip even further into the abyss of an ultra-liberal echo chamber. There's too much of that around here already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:43 pm 

I was checking out that www.larryville.com site and it's got an ignore feature. It's called friends and foes ? I guess you have a friends list and a foes list. Anybody on your foes list is ignored. I don't know what it looks like when they are ignored, but I put one of the other members on my foes list for a bit and it said their posts would be ignored. Then I took him back off again.

I'm not a huge computer person, but looks likes it's the most recent forum program....the phpbb or phpbb group, or whatever company it is that is at the bottom of the screen.

But then I like tinkering around new things and checking stuff out. It's kinda fun.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Orrr, if we we were on the other forum you could just IGNORE ME!!!!!!!!! ROFL!!!!! Really, I'm done now. :grin:

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:05 pm 

How about an aution, like ebay.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:09 pm 

Pilgrim wrote:
Gern_Blanston wrote:
I'd like to see an ignore user feature. Posters you place on it simply won't appear on your screen. I'm also thinking that could solve the complaints some have about some posters posting the same stuff multiple times.

Some people just can't stand dissent.

B-O-O
H-O-O

Can you spell e-c-h-o c-h-a-m-b-e-r, boys and girls?

Has it occurred to you, Pilgrim, that an ignore feature is just like turning off the television when you don't like the show? That isn't stifling dissent nor it is some form of censorhsip as you seem to be implying. Perhaps I just don't want to read your incessant whining about Merrill. You can still whine all you want and whoever else who wants to read it can. I can just choose not to see it period.

Post subject: Foe Blocker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:20 pm 

We will be implementing a per-user blocking system allowing individual members to filter out comments from specific posters.

Next suggestion.

P.O. Box 571
Lawrence, KS 66044
joshua.montgomery@larryville.com

Post subject: Re: update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:25 pm 

cathywpoc wrote:
How about an aution, like ebay.

Yep - We will be expanding the functionality of the swap meet to make both buying and selling easier.

We will NOT play middleman with the transactions. The Forum is enough work for now.

P.O. Box 571
Lawrence, KS 66044
joshua.montgomery@larryville.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:39 pm 

Gazza wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see an ignore user feature

Thats what I was going to suggest, Gern...

/shakes little fist back at Gern

Quote:
Throw in a few more BBcodes we can play with as well.

Oh, yea yea. The option to put imbedded videos in your posts would be cool.

Also, more smileys.

Hello, Gazza.

/shakes tiny fist right back at Gazza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:09 pm 

Gern_Blanston wrote:
Has it occurred to you, Pilgrim, that an ignore feature is just like turning off the television when you don't like the show? That isn't stifling dissent nor it is some form of censorhsip as you seem to be implying. Perhaps I just don't want to read your incessant whining about Merrill. You can still whine all you want and whoever else who wants to read it can. I can just choose not to see it period.

Not only can Gern spell echo chamber, she wants to build one.

Pathetic.

Post subject: Re: Foe Blocker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:02 pm 

oojoshua wrote:
We will be implementing a per-user blocking system allowing individual members to filter out comments from specific posters.

Next suggestion.

Awesome! I appreciate it. :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 pm 

Gern_Blanston wrote:
I'd like to see an ignore user feature. Posters you place on it simply won't appear on your screen. I'm also thinking that could solve the complaints some have about some posters posting the same stuff multiple times. It could also keep meltdowns to a minimum. :grin:
i hate to say this but i agree with gern on this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:06 pm 

allupnya: i liked that person

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:11 pm 

lanna wrote:
allupnya: i liked that person

Why? Or perhaps more accurately, how?

Post subject: Larryville
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:12 pm 

I like Larryville as it is with the exception of the few who seem to think they control the site. I don't see any problem of someone bumping up their ads to make it possible to sell them. I have a problem with people who make snid comments about other people and their Ads. However, I don't mind if someone write a recommendation of someone who is a selling somewhat. It's nice to know if someone is an honest person. There needs to be one Administrator on this site - just one. Not a bunch of know-it-alls who think they own the site because they post often. I vote for a free will Larryville with the exception of those few trouble makers. Please don't make a lot of stringent rules and ruin this site.
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Larryville
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:28 pm 

kate wrote:
I like Larryville as it is with the exception of the few who seem to think they control the site. I don't see any problem of someone bumping up their ads to make it possible to sell them. I have a problem with people who make snid comments about other people and their Ads. However, I don't mind if someone write a recommendation of someone who is a selling somewhat. It's nice to know if someone is an honest person. There needs to be one Administrator on this site - just one. Not a bunch of know-it-alls who think they own the site because they post often. I vote for a free will Larryville with the exception of those few trouble makers. Please don't make a lot of stringent rules and ruin this site.
Thanks

Wait, I'm confused by your post. You want free will, or a bunch a rules? It seems like you want freedom for yourself and rules for others.....at least that is the way it reads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:52 pm 

No use of the words,
wanker,
moist,
or
Topeka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 pm 

spare me some change? wrote:
No use of the words,
wanker,
moist,
or
Topeka.

Well, hell. That doesn't leave us much room for conversation then. :razz:

Post subject: Re: New Features
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:09 am 

topeka sums up the entire list of no say words so lets not say topeka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm 

lanna wrote:
topeka sums up the entire list of no say words so lets not say topeka

It's hot in Topeka

The Youtube button ain't working too well for me so I guess everyone will just have to settle for an old fashioned link.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:43 pm 

You just put the ID of the video in, in this case, iGDFwJrl99I
:grin:

|{======|_|"""""|_|"""""|
./o--000'"`|-0-0-'"`'"-0-0-'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 pm 

trainrider_ben wrote:

You just put the ID of the video in, in this case, iGDFwJrl99I
:grin:

Awesome! Thanks! I thought I was doing that but I guess not. :D'oh:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:33 pm 

2:20, that video; i don't know what is more pathetic-that i sat&watched the whole thing or that i laughed at it. :shrug:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:12 pm 

The swapmeet could use a stickied post that is a user guide. It would cover items such as posting etiquette or to how to post images. The first post would be a synopsis, started and edited by a moderator to reflect the general feelings of the community based on the discussion that follows.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:08 am 

When I am reading through various threads, I would like the newest one to be at the top instead of the oldest, like it is now.

Also, it didn't use to be this way, so I don't know why it's changed, but I don't like to have to login over and over again every time I want to go to a new page and post anything.

There are a lot of these little glitches that make it take longer to do anything. When one is trying to shop for various items on the swapmeet, it's too time consuming.

I think that there should be an easier way to post pictures too. I like the sites that allow you to browse through your files, click on the one you want, and there it is. I notice that too many people don't post pics, like they do on Craigslist, and I think that it's because it's not user friendly here.

And if we want to change the color or font of text in a post such as this, instead of seeing it in the text, it just says it in words for the writer. It seems pretty old school.

I hope these suggestions help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:28 am 

I read through all of the posts in this forum to see if anyone else was interested in the same things I was, and was disappointed. I think that some people just want to show everyone how clever they are.

There are plenty of places to spew opinions and rant at people on the site, but this forum was specifically for suggestions at making Larryville better.

When the administrators have to read through all of the crap to get to what they were asking for, it's a waste of time. They mentioned how many hours they had allocated toward the task of making it better and I can think of better ways for this time to be spent than cyphering through obnoxious opinions and potshots at other members.

I guess my other suggestion would be to add a feature like they have on Craigslist where you can mark something as "spam," "inappropriate," "listed in the wrong place," or "best of Larryville." When you read an attack or find postings crowding the wrong location, mark it. The administrators are notified and the postings removed. It would be at their discretion, but it would be easier to click that button than trying to defend yourself and wasting more time. It would also be an alert regarding a user if they keep getting flagged for inappropriate behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:03 pm 

Quote:
add a feature like they have on Craigslist where you can mark something as "spam," "inappropriate,"

Isnt that what this does?

|{======|_|"""""|_|"""""|
./o--000'"`|-0-0-'"`'"-0-0-'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:16 pm 

I didn't see that little thing down at the bottom corner when I wrote that, which kind of proves my point. I discovered it by playing around a little bit and then made my "official" complaint through that link.

It's not quite the same thing and, of course, has more steps than necessary. Craigslist is just more user friendly and "with it" and their options are more obvious. When you're looking at any post, the choices I mentioned are all over to the side and easy to read. You just click the appropriate one.

On Larryville, I'm not quite sure what happens after a specific complaint is made through that little exclamation point. I've made only one through there and haven't heard anything.

Thanks for responding accordingly, though.