It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:17 pm 

Fill your hot tub with pesticide for a week or two, line the edges of the tub with fly paper, hang bug zappers nearby, plant a bunch of bee-attracting plants and gas 'em as they come, tell your neighbor your ball landed in his back yard and when you go out back to get the ball burn that bee hive to the ground...

Post subject: Bees
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:30 pm 

Have you spoken with your neighbor about this? I take it these are bees he is raising for honey?

I have no clue whether or not raising a colony of bees is against any city code or ordinance. I know you're not allowed to raise poultry, goats, pigs. etc. Maybe check and see if honey bees are included. Now, if you live in a new area, you may have home owner covenants forbidding such activity.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:24 pm 

Hmmmmmmmm I believe the neighbor can house bees if he chooses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:06 pm 

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe not if it violates the vague Good Neighbor Ordinance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:09 pm 

Pit Bulls? I thought you were talking about Bees. Either way Bee keeping is totally kegal here in Lawrence and the Honey is so much sweeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:52 pm 

LindaMiller wrote:
Pit Bulls? I thought you were talking about Bees. Either way Bee keeping is totally kegal here in Lawrence and the Honey is so much sweeter.

I believe Dorothy requested that you not post in her threads per the forum rules, LindaMiller.

And I don't think bees have the equipment to do Kegals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:48 am 

ROFLMAO.............Bees doing kegels to keep their 'honey' sweet.......you gotta LOVE Kathy's ignorance on this one!! :spit:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:20 am 

There is no ordinance governing Bees or any insect species for that matter. So long live the Bees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 am 

I have no clue what I have said to offend anyone. I am only participating in a conversation about Bees.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:11 am 
I think we have gotten away from the thread! There is not any ordinance that says someone canno have bees... It it probably an annoyance, but I think turning this into an arugument just for the sake of picking at what Linda Miller posted is unfair. This is not a thread about dogs, cats, anything other than bees... STICK to the point :???:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:13 am 
I have in the past requestd someone not post on my thread UNLESS they are posting about the tpic of my post.. We need to re-read this and see WHO changed the subject from bees!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am 
Back to bees please!! :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:34 am 

Alright, I am editing my smart --- comments off.

Dorothy, I feel your pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:35 am 

LindaMiller wrote:
I have no clue what I have said to offend anyone. I am only participating in a conversation about Bees.

Stalking again, I see. Please abide by Dorothy's request and stay away from the threads he/she creates. Very simple request.

Post subject: Re: Out of control BEES!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:28 pm 

Dorothy wrote:
OK, so I'm all for doing things as naturally as possible, but my neighbors bees have become a real issue. Here is the scoop....neighbor has bees, lots of them, and they have decided that my hot tub is their new water source. It's gotten so bad that the only time I can use the tub is after dark, as any other time they chase me out of it!

I have called around and there is no ordinance regarding keeping of bees within the city, and after much research, the only thing I've found out that I can do, is to provide them with an alternate water source and hope they take to it.

Anyone else have this problem? And what did you do to alleviate the problem? :gaah:

You should train the bees to do tricks and have a bee circus.

Post subject: Re: Out of control BEES!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:30 pm 

Gern_Blanston wrote:
Dorothy wrote:
OK, so I'm all for doing things as naturally as possible, but my neighbors bees have become a real issue. Here is the scoop....neighbor has bees, lots of them, and they have decided that my hot tub is their new water source. It's gotten so bad that the only time I can use the tub is after dark, as any other time they chase me out of it!

I have called around and there is no ordinance regarding keeping of bees within the city, and after much research, the only thing I've found out that I can do, is to provide them with an alternate water source and hope they take to it.

Anyone else have this problem? And what did you do to alleviate the problem? :gaah:

You should train the bees to do tricks and have a bee circus.

Oooh, you could use all the Polly Pocket stuff for props for your bee circus! And the Legos! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:18 pm 

Ooh! Can I be in charge of the music?

Visit this site to hear a sample of the Circus Bee March!

http://www.amazon.com/Parade-Worlds-Gre ... B000000BYY

Post subject: Bee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:52 pm 

I also have a neighbor with a hive in the city,they swarm MY birdbaths so birds can't even use them,let alone any squirrels either.
I have always been highly allergic to them and produced by EPI pen to show him,he don't care---but if I get stung, my lawyer will sting him.
Another close neighbor I found out is also allergic. I think their cute but he could move them to the country.

The hotter the weather the more they swarm for water. I wish there was an ordinance. I can hardly mow the yard at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:36 pm 

When I first saw this thread, I figured it had something to do with wild bees in the neighbor's yard.

I've always wanted to keep bees, but I don't think I'd do it in the city limits. Not unless the city grew around me, anyway. At the very least, the bees harassing my neighbors would make me a poor neighbor.

Don't get me wrong, I like honey, but bees can be dangerous.

If there was any way to sue your 'neighbor' for harassment, I'd go forward on that one.

The way I see it, their property is keeping you from enjoying your property.

Let me know if you get the hot tub thing ironed out. I could use a good soak. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:25 pm 

You could always build the bees a tiny little hot tub for them to soak in. :lol:

You should make the neighbor pay for the bees' portion of the water bill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:21 pm 

Perhaps a hot tub with beer? Works on slugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:51 am 

Apparently the solution is to get a bunch of cell phones! :lol:

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:30 pm 

On the serious side of the bee problem. Maybe this will help:

When you first notice bees around your pool, mix a 1/4 cub of dish soap to a quart of water, and fill an empty sprayer bottle with it. Using the soapy mixture, spray any bees that are at your pool.
This soapy mixture will kill the bees quickly and without harmful pesticide residues.
Do this every time you see bees at a water source you want to keep bee-free.
This will kill those foragers who are telling others in the colony where your swimming pool is located. Eventually, all those foragers who are not returning to the colony, will have died. Other foragers will find a different source of water, so do not worry that you are harming the colony. Your are only eliminating a few individuals.

And this"

p://www.beetour.com/html/whatisit.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:48 pm 

Did you look at the beetour website?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:51 pm 

gwinmore wrote:
Did you look at the beetour website?

Link needs fixin'.

:grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:55 pm 

http://www.beetour.com/html/whatisit.html

It looks pretty interesting. They made mention of repelling yellowjackets. I wonder if it would work on wasps.

We always have problems with wasps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:39 pm 

Dorothy wrote:
Well, I've broken down and used the chemicals! Seems the only thing that for sure works is DEET! Sprayed some around the deck on Sunday night and haven't seen a single bee around the hot tub or deck since then.....WAHOO!!!! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and funnies, AND, if you end up knowing someone with the same problem....let them know.....DEET works! OH and it doesn't take much, as the scouts come and smell it, then go back to the hive and tell everyone else to STAY AWAY!

And best of all, they are still loving the flowers, without terrorizing my family!!!

Glad to hear that something worked for you!

Post subject: BEE SENSELESS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:48 pm 

What is the electronic device? He just added two more hives.

Post subject: Bee Troubles
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:47 pm 

Well, the bad news is that he added Tripled the hive he already had this weekend at the corner of my yard. Now I ask him questions, quit watering the birds and go a legal route or die. I have had anphalaxtic shock reations 4 times. It takes me 20 seconds to lose breathing functions,get large itching hives and I have less than five minutes to take that shot and it hurts so bad.

I really enjoy watching them but I fear so many at once. We all need bees for our gardens but not this many in one place.

Post subject: Re: Bee Troubles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:54 am 

KsTwister wrote:
Well, the bad news is that he added Tripled the hive he already had this weekend at the corner of my yard. Now I ask him questions, quit watering the birds and go a legal route or die. I have had anphalaxtic shock reations 4 times. It takes me 20 seconds to lose breathing functions,get large itching hives and I have less than five minutes to take that shot and it hurts so bad.

I really enjoy watching them but I fear so many at once. We all need bees for our gardens but not this many in one place.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but I saw something on the news recently that said those electronic devices don't work.

Please be extra careful going outdoors until you can get some resolution with your neighbor!

Post subject: Bee Trouble
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:50 am 

Like the BeeTour idea, may give it a try as well as the bee bubble bath. Anyway, will try to reason with him first. Too bad a fence will not fix the problem.

Post subject: Sometimes you just can't win
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:31 pm 

Well, tried to reason calmly,failed. He said it was just a story I was telling but he didn't offer to pick up my new Epi pen for $73.00. Monday will probably be one of two ordinances to choose from.

The real sad thing is I really like the bees, but if I could float a neighbor in a pan of beer don't think I would not try.

Post subject: bee trouble
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 am 

I just can't wait for the aggressive African bees to move in. Right now I am holding my parents and other family back from giving him some real verbal abuse. You just can not educate stupid.

Post subject: Out of Control Bees
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:19 pm 

To bring you up to date, I now have a letter from all my doctors saying I am highly allergic and should I get stung need to use the Epi pen immediately.
Other than the Good Neighbor Ordinance(which is vague) my next step will be to eliminate the hives within the city. Why will I do this? Two reasons: the first it may save my life(or my brothers) the second is that after a long call with the Animal Control Department head who gave me a lot of information how these beekeepers within the city are part of the demise of the honey bee by subjecting them to air pollutants, pesticides and herbicides. In fact, they are actually killing off their own hives. Not that I want that although it would be safer for me if the bees die before I do.
So now to contact the city departments heads to make exceptions to the ordinances to protect the deaths of both the bees and /or people. Which ever comes first. :argue: :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:31 pm 

City is now informing all hive owners of the modified ordinance to move them out. They may be causing more harm than good to the bee population by placing them in residential areas prone to pesticides,pollution and the occasional hit and run. Can't say I am the least bit sorry for the stupidity that brought it this far. As the weather warms up again this may be one summer I can spend more time in my own yard. The state used to require hive owners to registration and inspections, they may go back to it too. We need the bees in the right places ----in town is not that place.