It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: out of control weeds in my lawn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:49 pm 

I have a lawn that I would like to weed out but the dandelions and misc other weeds (I live out in the country so its a bit of everything except grass...) have taken over. I rent so I dont want to spend too much money but it is such an eyesore right now-I would love to have just regular grass. Should I try tilling, surf and turf or what?!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: onions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:23 pm 

I have the same problem and I also have lots of onions as well! Any ideas on getting rid of the dandelions and onions without killing what grass I do have. It seems like when I mow they just grow back faster!

Post subject: onions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:49 pm 

For the wild onions refer to Monkeygirls post further down the garden list titled "This Weed Won't Die"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:06 pm 

If you live in the country, your yard is probably good size.You could use
weed and feed. That is what my brother did and he spent alot of money.
Dandelions will blow in from all over so you are in for alot of time to
control them. My advice is enjoy your country living and my children
always thought our yard was so pretty with all the yellow flowers,
(dandelions)...Ha!

Post subject: lawn
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:50 pm 

A friend of mine who lives in the country had a new neighbor move in across the road from him. One day he walked over to meet her as he was saw her with a pile of dandelions. They greeted and in her broken English(she was German) she told him he had so many beautiful yellow flowers in his yard that she went and found some to put in hers. I of course thought he was kidding until I went to his house-----sure enough!

...........in the eyes of the beholder.

Post subject: onions suck
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:33 pm 

ok, so i asked rather early in the season about these buggers. in addition to redbird's reply, anything with 2-4-D will kill 'em. spray it on there and in about two weeks... viola! ok, so it might look a bit polka dotted, but DEAD. after a month, you don't even notice. it didn't hurt the grass and it killed the dandelions (or other broad leaf weeds) we sprayed. i think what we used was called spectricide.

Post subject: dam de lions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 pm 

I got some kids showed them my back yard, handed out three of those dandelion digger tools,showed them how to put under the plant and break the stem and lift up from the center (after they picked the blowing ones and put in a bucket). I said this job pays 5 cents apiece (they kept count by dropping toothpicks in the bucket too. Those little guys got me for $20 some dollars.

But I might add a little weed and feed would have worked just as well and been a whole lot cheaper. The new thick weedbe gone max stuff works good and barely spray in the center (you'll save your yard). Good luck it only took me last year and this spring to rid them all.