It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friends, Foes, and PM Settings
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:04 pm 

I've seen a handful of people talking about how to ignore other users, as well as some statements about wishing they could block certain individuals from sending them Personal Messages. So, I thought I'd put together a little tutorial on how the Friends and Foes system works, and some extra credit on how you can use your friends list, to block Personal Messages from people on your Foes list.

When you are logged in, you should have a link to the User Control Panel in the upper right corner of the screen.

Once you are in the User Control Panel, you can manage your Friends & Foes by clicking on the Option section for Friends & Foes

For this tutorial, we want to specifically look at adding people to your "Foes" list. This should hide the messages that the people on this list will post. Note, it will hide their messages, but you will still see that they posted, and if anyone quotes their post, you will see the quotation. To manage your Foes, click on the link "Manage Foes"

Ok, to add people to your foes list, you can type their name into the text box or use the Lookup tool to search for specific people. I'll let you figure out the rest of those details. Another shortcut, if you view a user's profile, there is a link to "add friend" or "add foe".

-- EXTRA CREDIT --

Adding a user as a Foe will prevent their messages from showing up on the forums, however, these users can still send you Private Messages. Unfortunately, there are some individuals who just don't seem to get the Memo that you're not interested in what they have to say. Can we do anything about this? Yes, we can.

If you click on the link in the User Control Panel for "Private Messages" you have a lot of options regarding what you can do here. The one I want to talk a little bit about is the sub section labeled "Rules, Folders, & Settings". If you click on that link, we can setup Rules. This might be familiar to some of you using e-mail programs to sort messages, etc...

We want to setup a rule to block people from sending us messges. To do so, under the "Add New Rule" section, select your first in statement "Sender".

What we're doing is matching any PM based upon the Sender of the message. You can specify several things here such as "if like" to do a partial match, or "is" to specify a single user. However, there is one setting here that is really cool, the option "is Foe" will match any of the senders of Personal Messages to you, with anyone on your "Foes" list.

Now that you are matching the sender of Personal Messages against your Foes list, we need to decide what to do with those messages. If you want to move them to a separate folder, you can, but personally, I don't want to see the message at all. So, I'm going to select "Delete Message".

Once this is set, you should have a new rule that will delete messages from any sender who is in your Foes list.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to post a reply here, or send me a PM.

David

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Friends, Foes, and PM Settings
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:21 pm 

Niiiiiiiice... Thanks!