It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inappropriate Use Policy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

What policies should we put in place to define inappropriate usage of the site? Obviously promoting other, similar, sites should be off limts as should hate speech, but what else?

Specific suggestions are requested including legal language. Please respect other peoples copyrights.

In looking at the existing policy, it appears as though most of this has been thought out already.

http://larryville.com/forum/rules.htm

Does anyone have any specific changes that they feel need to be made to the existing policy, or should we simply implement it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 am 

Just be able and willing to act when needed to shut down the really hateful stuff....before it gets out of hand and kills the board, as has happened before.

Have some mechanism for warning people *privately or not* when their posts border on the edge of acceptable.

William Shakespeare
Julius Caesar, Act III, scene i

Post subject: Re: Inappropriate Use Policy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:07 am 

Admin wrote:
What policies should we put in place to define inappropriate usage of the site? Obviously promoting other, similar, sites should be off limts as should hate speech, but what else?

There are many definitions of "hate speech". If this is going to b enforced, a comprehensive definition is called for.

Selective enforcement is the surest way to kill this community, that and picking the wrong mods.

Quote:
In looking at the existing policy, it appears as though most of this has been thought out already.

http://larryville.com/forum/rules.htm

Does anyone have any specific changes that they feel need to be made to the existing policy, or should we simply implement it?

Really, the lack of any meaningful enforcement has always been the problem. The rules have always been there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 pm 

who's lives have been disrupted?????? but i think the constant advertising of corporation services and businesses is a violation and should be put in it's own forum or banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 pm 

lauri di wrote:
Quote:
Just be able and willing to act when needed to shut down the really hateful stuff....before it gets out of hand and kills the board, as has happened before.

Have some mechanism for warning people *privately or not* when their posts border on the edge of acceptable.

O----S--N---AA--PP

I agree :cool:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Inappropriate Use Policy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:09 pm 

Clockworkowl wrote:
Selective enforcement is the surest way to kill this community, that and picking the wrong mods.

You really do seem worried about this.

Has this happened in the past?

I can't think of any specific instances, involving specific users, that have been victimized by this.

Can you name some specific examples, help jog my memory, Clock?

Thanks! :)

Agnostick
agnostick@excite.com