It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Privacy Policy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'd like to see some suggestions about our privacy policy. How should user information be used, when should the site release a user's contact information? What anonymous statistics are appropriate and which ones are not.

Specific suggestions are requested including legal language. Please remember to respect the copyrights of other sites.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:43 pm 

Are you meaning to make a commodity of user e-mails-information to be sold or traded to marketing firms?? I'm not sure I understand.

I would understand releasing a users information to authorities when such a thing is necessary but anything else is bad form.

I didn't sign up to larryville to have my contact information released and don't think user info should be used at all. :???:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 pm 

I agree. I don't want you giving anyone my information.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Privacy Policy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm 

Admin wrote:
I'd like to see some suggestions about our privacy policy. How should user information be used, when should the site release a user's contact information? What anonymous statistics are appropriate and which ones are not.

Specific suggestions are requested including legal language. Please remember to respect the copyrights of other sites.

User information should not be used. Period. This smacks of Admin trying to gain permission to use info we provided and Admin inherited for marketing purposes.

Why are you requesting us to include legal language? If you want to CYA on liability issues, you really should consult an attorney versed in cyberlaw.

I understand you are wanting feedback but Admin needs to assume some responsibility here for the creation/or upkeep of their website.

Post subject: Re: Privacy Policy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 am 

Admin wrote:

You GOTTA keep everything private as much as you can! IMO

Do NOT use user information!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:12 pm 

Dorothy wrote:
I think before people get all offensive, we need to give the new admin an opportunity to explain themselves. They have been very forthcoming with info and also with asking for input. Please refrain from attacks until we know their intentions.

Admin requested feedback. Feedback can be positive, negative or neutral. I guess I don't understand why you want to discourage feedback in all forms here. This Admin seems to actually want Larryville's input.
"It is a good thing." - Martha Stewart

Post subject: Example
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:13 pm 

OK, here is an example.....

The cops call, saying - "Hey Josh, we see someone put up a post on Larryville.com that they know who robbed Glass House Liquor last Thursday, can you let me know their name, e-mail address and the last IP address they logged in from?"

After verifying that they are, indeed, the cops, do we simply hand over the information? Do we tell them they need to provide a subpoena? Do we fight the subpoena? Where is the line? What does the community think should be the line?

As for marketing - We won't be selling anyone any information. We do, however, reserve the right to send out an e-mail from time to time letting people know about new features, etc.

P.O. Box 571
Lawrence, KS 66044
joshua.montgomery@larryville.com

Post subject: Re: Example
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm 

oojoshua wrote:

The cops call, saying - "Hey Josh, we see someone put up a post on Larryville.com that they know who robbed Glass House Liquor last Thursday, can you let me know their name, e-mail address and the last IP address they logged in from?"

After verifying that they are, indeed, the cops, do we simply hand over the information? Do we tell them they need to provide a subpoena? Do we fight the subpoena? Where is the line? What does the community think should be the line?

As for marketing - We won't be selling anyone any information. We do, however, reserve the right to send out an e-mail from time to time letting people know about new features, etc.

Again, consult an actual attorney if you are concerned about that type of situation. Does the Larryville community's opinion matter if you are legally required to hand over info like that?

CYA is all good.

Post subject: Re: Example
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm 

oojoshua wrote:

If the courts order you to turn over information that will help solve a case, then yeah, turn it over. Obviously they aren't going to subpoena the information over a stolen bicycle. It's going to be over big stuff.

As for the marketing...are you planning to mass e-mail people about Freenet internet service specials and things of that nature?

Post subject: Freenet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 pm 

I no longer work for the Lawrence Freenet Project or speak on their behalf.

Actually there are no plans to use the e-mail list at all, however, we reserve the right to use it at some later date, likely through an "opt-in" mechanism.

P.O. Box 571
Lawrence, KS 66044
joshua.montgomery@larryville.com

Post subject: Re: Freenet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm 

oojoshua wrote:

Actually there are no plans to use the e-mail list at all, however, we reserve the right to use it at some later date, likely through an "opt-in" mechanism.

Oh, sorry, duh....Free Planet, forgot how to read today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:01 pm 

Dorothy wrote:
Gern_Blanston wrote:
Dorothy wrote:
I think before people get all offensive, we need to give the new admin an opportunity to explain themselves. They have been very forthcoming with info and also with asking for input. Please refrain from attacks until we know their intentions.

Admin requested feedback. Feedback can be positive, negative or neutral. I guess I don't understand why you want to discourage feedback in all forms here. This Admin seems to actually want Larryville's input.
"It is a good thing." - Martha Stewart

I wasn't discouraging feedback "in all forms", I was discouraging people from jumping their case the first day they own the site. But it's obvious you read into my comment what YOU wanted to!

Well, forgive me, Dorothy, but your post had a accusatory tone toward all the people who made suggestions/gave opinions about the privacy policy.

It was as if you thought we had done something wrong for providing requested feedback. But you could remind all the others in the other threads about jumping on the Admins' case too soon. It looks like everyone could use that reminder, right? :cool:

It looks like the consensus here is that our private info should not be used for solicitation purposes but that most understand that legal situations come up where there is no choice but to hand over user information.

Post subject: Re: Freenet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 pm 

oojoshua wrote:

i don't want you to reserve the right to use my information at all. that denotes you will sell it and make money like a corporation, that is an invasion of privacy. there are many of us here who purposly don't put our info on here because we don't want people on here to have it or any of the businesses who tried to register sending us spam or email.