It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PLANTING A BOG OR MARSH GARDEN
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:47 am 

I have a low area that hold water even in drier times than now. I have been researching bog gardens. Does anyone here have a bog or marshy area they have planted?

what plants did you have the most success with? What was the downside, if any?

Post subject: Re: PLANTING A BOG OR MARSH GARDEN
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 am 

Fairylight: We have had success with coneflower, cattails, watercress and milkweed (butterflies love this!).

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:59 am 

I have never planted a bog garden, but I was recently reading about Iris. Japanese Iris and Louisianas Iris sound like something that would work. They both like a slightly acid soil and constant moisture. For more info go to http://www.kciris.org. There are some links posted there that will give you a better idea.

This year the Kansas City Iris Society is the host of the National Iris Convention. I believe that this is happening this month. There should be lots of plants to buy and at the least some very knowledgeable people to ask questions of. Your favorite garden center probably has more info on this.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm 

A willow tree might help to dry the area out.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:47 pm 

Thank you for that info. I love iris and had forgotten they would survive bog conditions. I also bought a 'bouquet' of spiral willow and have rooted them alone with some pussy-willow. I think I will try also those hybrid willows, called I believe Austrere willow. This should be interesting to grow. What will keep the mosquito down , would anyone have an idea there.

srvfantexasflood wrote:
I have never planted a bog garden, but I was recently reading about Iris. Japanese Iris and Louisianas Iris sound like something that would work. They both like a slightly acid soil and constant moisture. For more info go to http://www.kciris.org. There are some links posted there that will give you a better idea.

This year the Kansas City Iris Society is the host of the National Iris Convention. I believe that this is happening this month. There should be lots of plants to buy and at the least some very knowledgeable people to ask questions of. Your favorite garden center probably has more info on this.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:54 pm 

fish would keep the mosquitos down. How much water ya got?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:53 pm 

Mental wrote:
fish would keep the mosquitos down. How much water ya got?

If I do it as a genuine bog or marsh garden, I don't have enough as during hot months it does dry down quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 pm 

Just curious fairylight. Have you decided what to plant?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 am 

RadcliffeCamera wrote:
Just curious fairylight. Have you decided what to plant?

I have started with two spiral willow,a pussy willow and a clump of horsetail reed.
i have two giant elephant ear bulbs but have not decided if I will put them in pots or direct in the ground.

in NOT the bog garden, I plante a Mexican Flame Vine-It is always covered with butterflies! This is the first time I had planted one, but I will ure keep them from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 am 

Just did a little online research regarding the Mexican Flame vine. Wow! I'd like to have one of those. The bloom seems similar to the Tithonia Mexican sunflower. Tithonia is very easy to start from seed and is a favorite of monarchs and hummingbirds. It also comes in several varieties and sizes. Tithonia Torch grows about 6 ft. tall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 am 

I used to have some Mexican sunflowers, but for some reason they died out. I had forgotten how much the butterflies loved them.

I rooted a piece of the flame vine that had broken off. I think it will be easy to keep a start in the house this winter for next spring. The butterflies fight over it!

srvfantexasflood wrote:
Just did a little online research regarding the Mexican Flame vine. Wow! I'd like to have one of those. The bloom seems similar to the Tithonia Mexican sunflower. Tithonia is very easy to start from seed and is a favorite of monarchs and hummingbirds. It also comes in several varieties and sizes. Tithonia Torch grows about 6 ft. tall.