It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patio/Deck gardening
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 pm 

I want to start a container garden on my patio. Mpstly veggies, but some flowers too. Is anyone aware of a local person who's doing this, or some kind of club or blog, etc? I'd like a little camaraderie and inspiration, as it's been *years* since I've had a garden. I've never had a container garden.

Post subject: Re: Patio/Deck gardening
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 pm 

JoyNsyde wrote:
I want to start a container garden on my patio. Mpstly veggies, but some flowers too. Is anyone aware of a local person who's doing this, or some kind of club or blog, etc? I'd like a little camaraderie and inspiration, as it's been *years* since I've had a garden. I've never had a container garden.

I do not know if there are any groups around here. The closest thing to that were people involved in hydroponics who found out about others more by word of mouth.

Container gardens can be a lot of fun except when it comes to moving them sometimes daily to get the right amount of sun. When I have done it the biggest problem I had was having room to keep the veggies that tend to cross with other species far enough apart to avoid that problem. I found that larger vine plants can require a lot more attention as well as food and water. Also using a big enough container the first time can be a problem. Having to transplant adult plants tend to retard their production. I have also had a problem with keeping the squirrels from digging up the plants and or seeds.

I hope you have fun and some tasty veggies.

They say 1 out of 4 people are screwed up. So pick out three of your friends. If they are alright, it must be you.

Your Google-fu is weak, weedhopper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 pm 

Wow, thanks, you've scared me already!! :oops:

Maybe I should just start something myself. Anyone want to get together and support each other in container gardening? Help each other choose plants, make plans, have weed-pulling parties, and at the end of the season a potluck with dishes made from our home-grown treasures. Maybe we could make our own blog. LawrenceApartmentGardens.com... or something like that! :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:22 am 

JoyNsyde wrote:
Wow, thanks, you've scared me already!! :oops:

Maybe I should just start something myself. Anyone want to get together and support each other in container gardening? Help each other choose plants, make plans, have weed-pulling parties, and at the end of the season a potluck with dishes made from our home-grown treasures. Maybe we could make our own blog. LawrenceApartmentGardens.com... or something like that! :idea:

Sorry, the intent wasn't to scare just pointing out a few things so you might be able to avoid some pit falls. Especially if you are a bit rusty on gardening since it has been a while since you had one. :grin:

They say 1 out of 4 people are screwed up. So pick out three of your friends. If they are alright, it must be you.

Your Google-fu is weak, weedhopper