It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice with weeds
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm 

I need some advice. I have a vegetable garden that I can't seem to keep the grass from growing up in. I have to weed it every other day with all this rain we are getting. Is there anything that I can put down to stop the grass from growing between my plants. I don't want mulch.

Post subject: Re: advice with weeds
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:33 pm 

fisherwoman wrote:
I need some advice. I have a vegetable garden that I can't seem to keep the grass from growing up in. I have to weed it every other day with all this rain we are getting. Is there anything that I can put down to stop the grass from growing between my plants. I don't want mulch.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that netting type stuff but I haven't had time to try it.

I'd love to hear some other suggestions. I'm getting overwhelmed with all the weeds, too! :gaah:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:47 pm 

Layers of newspaper. Black and white pages are safe they say because it's soy ink mostly these days. It's ugly, but it works great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 am 

Mental wrote:
Layers of newspaper. Black and white pages are safe they say because it's soy ink mostly these days. It's ugly, but it works great.

Just curious, do you do this? And then at the end of the season, do you just til it into the soil or pick it all out? I was thinking it would be mostly decomposed by late autumn? I have never done this myself, but have heard of it for many years, and am interested in feedback from someone who HAS done it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 am 

Dig it in. In fact, when we moved into our house, we did a raised garden bed this way over grass and didn't even till anything. Thick layer of newspaper on the grass, thick layer of those city woodchips, thick layer of city compost. We planed our garden right in that, right on top of the grass, with no tilling. The newspaper is decomposing under there right now and the garden is growing great!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:04 am 

Thanks, sounds like a great way to start a quick garden bed without it being so labor intensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:31 pm 

It has worked great. We used railroad ties as edges, I forgot to mention. Also, we used way more newspaper than we thought we would need, just in case. We have zoizia (sp?) grass, which is really invasive, so we wanted to make sure it wouldn't climb up through the paper. I've had to pull some here and there, but no more than if we had started from tilled soil.

I have no intention of ever running a tiller again! :yippee: