It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharing my experience
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 am 

Yesterday, while taking a break from mowing, I sat down for a few minutes. I had the pleasure of observing 4-5 hummingbirds move in and fight over the nectar from the Tithonia Torch or Mexican Sunflowers. I have been watching the Monarchs and other butterflies float from plant to plant as well as bees and gold finches for well over a week. This is the second year that I have planted Mexican Sunflowers and I don't think I will ever let a year go by without adding some to the garden. I get alot of enjoyment out of one packet of seed. The Torch variety is about 6 ft. tall. I understand there are more compact bushy varieties available. I may look into those next year.

Post subject: Re: Sharing my experience
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 pm 

srvfantexasflood wrote:
Yesterday, while taking a break from mowing, I sat down for a few minutes. I had the pleasure of observing 4-5 hummingbirds move in and fight over the nectar from the Tithonia Torch or Mexican Sunflowers. I have been watching the Monarchs and other butterflies float from plant to plant as well as bees and gold finches for well over a week. This is the second year that I have planted Mexican Sunflowers and I don't think I will ever let a year go by without adding some to the garden. I get alot of enjoyment out of one packet of seed. The Torch variety is about 6 ft. tall. I understand there are more compact bushy varieties available. I may look into those next year.

Can you post a couple of pictures? I'd like to see what they look like. I am searching for new ideas for my yard.

Post subject: Mexican Sunflowers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 am 

I'll try, but I am challenged when it comes to technology.

Post subject: Picture and facts about Mexican sunflower
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:12 pm 

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/tithon_r.cfm

I took some great pictures of my Mexican Sunflower with butterflies feasting on the nectar. I can't figure out how to get them on this forum so I have included a web site that gives a good description and pictures.

Post subject: Re: Picture and facts about Mexican sunflower
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:14 pm 

srvfantexasflood wrote:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/tithon_r.cfm

I took some great pictures of my Mexican Sunflower with butterflies feasting on the nectar. I can't figure out how to get them on this forum so I have included a web site that gives a good description and pictures.

Those are lovely! I can think of a couple of spots that they would do well in my yard. Thanks for the info on these!