It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting rid of grass?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:58 pm 

I am doing a yard for this lady and she has a TON of grass in her flowerbed almost like a lawn in there. :grin:

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of it? Ideally, I'd like to just rake it out, is there a spray or something to kill the grass that and then I could rake it out? Right now I'm DIGGING it out with a shovel and it is taking FOREVER, it's not very time or cost efficient. She's not planting anything this year so if I had to use chemicals could she still plant there next year?

Any suggestions?

Stephanie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:27 pm 

Roundup will work fine, it will kill the grass down to the root system and it "supposedly" goes inert once it hits the soil.

If you are looking for a more environmentally friendly product, we use Burn Out, I haven't found it anywhere locally but we order it off of www.planetnatural.com and it works really well. It's made primarily of vinegar, clove oil and lemon juice. Spraying that stuff on now while it is 100 degrees will immediately get rid of that grass. (I wouldn't spray and rake, I would just spray and leave it alone to do it's thing). Because of the acidity of the spray, just be careful about keeping it away from your eyes, wear sun glasses or something while applying it.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm 

Thanks! A couple people said Round-up, for some reason I thought that was just for like dandelions and stuff, but I'll also mention the other stuff you said, I'm not sure if she's too stressed about the environmentally friendly stuff, it's up to her, her yard. Thanks for the tip on the shades, too! :cool:

Profile E-mail