It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bats
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:00 pm 

I thought I would post this here because perhaps some fellow gardners have done this. But, has anyone here put up a bat house? I have researched bat houses a little because bats are the main predator of many insects. A little brown bat can eat 150 mosquitos in 15 minutes. I wanted to put one up last summer but never got around to it. They can be purchased online but there are also sites with plans to build your own. We see at least a half dozen flying around the neighborhood every evening, but I would like to attract more. I'm not sure where the ones we have are roosting. We have a blow up pool and lots of mature trees so we have PLENTY of bugs. But the success of building a colony depends on the bat house, climate etc. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and been successful and would be willing to give me some pointers or help me build and put one up.

Thanks Larryville!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:09 am 

Pendleton's actually has some really cool bat houses that have been made out of recycled wood from old utility poles and I think everything is on sale out there right now because they are closing down for August to do repairs from the microburst last year. Karen and John are very knowlegeable about pollinators - so maybe call out there and they can give you some help/advice on what you need to do.

Post subject: Re: Bats
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:00 pm 

bumping this thread -- anyone have any experience with bat houses? i would love to put one up...

Post subject: Re: Bats
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:55 pm 

We have two bat houses the boys put up years ago. I don't know if they are occupied this year- I imagine they are. On most summer evenings late we'd see bats shoot across the yard and nab a bug or something in mid-flight.

One time the boys would throw a fish line that made a humming noise as it came out of the reel- that was like calling the bats, they come to investiage. It was spooky and fun at the same time.