It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fuzzy tailed rodents vs tomatoes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:56 am 

Any suggestions on how to keep the squirrels from eating my green tomatoes? :mad: I have rabbit fencing around some and that seems to work, but it is not practical for all my tomato plants.

Post subject: fuzzy tails
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:29 pm 

not sure if it's legal, but i resorted to live trapping them and transplanting them to the country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:19 am 

I don't think you can ever get rid of squirrels. If you get rid of one, there is always another to take its' place. We've had luck with a product called "Liquid Fence" for rabbits. Not sure if it would deter squirrels, or weather it's safe to use on edible plants. Maybe you'd have to build a cage of chicken wire. Squirrels are so pesky sometimes!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am 

i don't know if this is a real solution or just a fluke... last year i had squirels digging in my potted plants. to make it stop i'd put dog hair just on top of the dirt. everytime we'd brush her out, just stick more on there.

Post subject: soap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:36 am 

One of the ladies I garden for uses bits of soap, like take a bar of soap and shave off a couple slivers and place it in the top of the dirt. She does it with her flowers, I'm assuming you could do it with vegetables, too, I don't think the soap would get into the fruit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Little stinkers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:49 am 

We brushed the dog last night and applied the hair around the tomato plant that the squirrels favor. The dog didn't have much hair, but we'll see.

I buildt a cage around some more tomatoes and decapitated a hibiscus and an asiatic lily in the process. Oh well. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 am 

Get a cat. My cat deters the squirrels.

You could also get a squirrel feeder, placed at the farthest corner of your yard away from the garden. Maybe they go for that instead of your tomatoes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 pm 

I think I saw a show on the discovery channel one time where people were trying to get rid of squirrels. I think the only thing that worked was getting a dog. Cats might deter squirrels as well, but it's not safe to have cats outside.

Post subject: Squirrel Manor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:51 pm 

Our greyhound is far to old to care about squirrel vermin any longer. We he is gone :sad: I might consider a terrier. Until then I will have to build cages around the tomatoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:03 pm 

aquakej wrote:
Cats might deter squirrels as well, but it's not safe to have cats outside.

Really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:44 am 

Cats are responsible for placing some birds on the endangered species list. They're an introduced predator, and they kill lots of wildlife. Besides that, it's not safe for the cats due to cars, stray dogs, etc.

Post subject: Re: fuzzy tailed rodents vs tomatoes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:29 am 

srvfantexasflood wrote:
Any suggestions on how to keep the squirrels from eating my green tomatoes? :mad: I have rabbit fencing around some and that seems to work, but it is not practical for all my tomato plants.

I had some luck with a homemade spray. I had many leftover habaneros in the freezer, I boiled them in a couple cups of water for prob about 10 minutes. I had taken some old cig butts of my husbands and put them in a cut of leg from pantie hose , soaked that overnight to make a tobacco water, I then added the habanero water, a few drops of baby shampoo ( for viscosity) and sprayed my plants. It kept the grasshoppers AND the rabbits off my plants and veggies. Take care when boiling the peppers as it can sting hell out of your nose and eyes!

After I sprayed, I also sprinkled ground red pepper...just for luck. Worked well tho.