It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full Shade Garden
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:26 am 

I am looking for ideas to help my mother-in-law who has a new garden area that is almost full shade all day long. Does anyone have any good suggestions of perinnial flowers that would work. Already have ivy and hostas looking for something with color.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:48 am 

Toad lillies are some of my favorite plants, and they're becoming more widely available. They don't flower until fall, but they're worth it!
If the bunnies don't eat them, ferns are always a good choice, as are coral bells (Heuchera sp.) and caladiums. All those things need watered on a semi-regular basis, but in the shade, things don't dry out as quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:48 am 

Don't forget columbine. Lamb's ear will also grow nicely in the shade and gives a nice fuzzy gray texture to the garden.

Projection "A defense mechanism in which the individual attributes to other people impulses and traits that he himself has but cannot accept. It is especially likely to occur when the person lacks insight into his own impulses and traits."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:30 am 

foxglove is one-but gets really tall, Pulmonaria is really pretty, and blends in well- jack in the pulpit is a real eyecatcher also -- a good annual to get quick color is impaitens-short easy to blend in, cheap,and even grows for a non-green thumb like me

Post subject: Shade Garden
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:24 pm 

I have a bed of spider wort that grows in full shade. Still my favorite and I have almost everything you can name. Also I have planted some wild flower varieties like Solomon's Seal which is nice. Lillies of the valley are planted next to them as well as a few ferns to border the rock walls. In places that do get a little sun I have planted dianthus to color match the rest. Everything in its place and thriving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:59 pm 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will pass them on.

Post subject: More suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:06 am 

If I am not too late to add to the great ideas already posted, I have some thoughts on the subject. As a general rule, anything varigated will popout in the shade. A few selected varigated plants in a shade garden will really stand out.
Also, www.vinlandvalleynursery.com is a great resource. Their lists of plant materials are color coded according to sun requirements. This makes it extremely easy. All you have to do is scroll down looking for plants that are in the right color box. Vinland Valley Nursery is also close to Lawrence. It would make a fun trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:35 am 

Dorothy
I am very familar with vineland ( go there a lot), but where is enrights. I am always looking for new nurseries to go to. Could you give me an address please.
Thank You.