It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: YAY for Spring!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 am 

Dorothy wrote:
It is finally here to stay! Hopefully we have seen the last freeze, as I have decided to brave it and go ahead and put out a few tender annuals. And perfect timing, I might add, as I put stuff in the ground just a few hours prior to out nice soaking...LOL. So what do all the LV gardeners have going in their gardens this year? Anyone been out to any of the outlying nurseries yet? Anything really unusual, or new varieties, that we should know about?

I don't trust that we won't get another freeze. I hope you are right. I have several newish fruit trees that are in bloom and should produce this year. You may need to help me pick cherries!

I have onion planted and so far that's all. It's been way too wet to till EVEN WITH MY new baby tiller. I am anxious to see how well this little mantis does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:23 am 

I have an area in my front yard that just looks bad... I did plant a alot of mums there, and they were beautiful for years, however, last years late freeze took them all with it... So! Now I have an area, probably 10 ft. long, 4 ft. wide that I do not want to be just grass. It gets absolutely no morning sun, but is blistering in the heat of the day.. Any suggestions on what is hardy enough to stand up to that? I am not big on Geraniums, although I don plant those in a red wagon out front, I will have to till up that area, as now it is covered in ugly crab grass. You think I should put more geraniums in there? I would really enjoy some suggestions! Please, if you have any, HELP!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 pm 

Hey, :neutral: I hadn't thought of roses! I have a climbing bush at the side of the house, that is a great idea! Hello brain - please engage!! lol Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm 

If you haven't purchased any plants for your bare spot you might consider annuals. Annuals will give you that continuous burst of color all summer long. Perennials and roses, even though I love them both, only provide blooms some of the time. In your front yard you want a show stopper for all those neighbors that will be pea green with envy! Roses require those ugly styro rose cones or mounds of dirt to protect them from winter kill. Nobody wants that in their front yard. It's just my opinion. Let us know what you do!