It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: novice vs. weeds
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:16 am 

we tilled, added soil, and planted bulbs in the fall for the spring. however, with the warmth that stayed i noticed that weeds were everywhere in my garden. some look like clover and other green stuff and we have a bumper crop of green onions (this is in the grass, too!). what can i use to treat this area without harming my bulbs? or... *gasp* am i doomed to a season of pulling this crap out? :???:

getting the green onions out of the yard would be a dream, too!!!

Post subject: Weeds
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:04 am 

Hmmmmmmm. First thing I would consider doing is mulch the flower beds. The bulbs will have no problem coming up thru a couple inches of wood chip mulch. As far as the wild onions go. Out in the lawn there are several products you could use. Some you spray, some you broad cast out with a spreader. Now, for the onions in the flower beds I heard of a pretty neat trick but I personally haven't tried it yet. Get a spray bottle of a Round Up type product. Then, spray the product on a sponge or even paper towels and just wipe the onions with the sponge or towel. This will allow you to very precisely apply the weed killer so as to not overspray onto the plants you don't want to kill. Wear gloves of course, otherwise that spray can get into your body, slip into your DNA and you'll grow a third nipple or something. Also, Round UP really doesn't work well until it gets warmer and plants are actively growing. So, you may be stuck just pulling them by hand until later this Spring.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: killing weeds
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 pm 

I fully agree with 76Scout. I have found that weed killers only work with the weeds are actively growing. You should wait to spray or spot treat weeds until then. I usually pull weeds by hand and then mulch. I like to keep my yard free of chemicals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:37 pm 

You could try something that is called Ornamec or the like that contain Fluazifop-p-butyl....takes care of a lot of grasses and weeds and can be sprayed directly onto most flower beds and gardens...just make sure to read the label so as not to kill your plants!!!

Profile E-mail