It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got Zucchini?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm 

Maybe now is the time to share all our zucchini recipes for those that have an over abundance of the stuff. I found this recipe on the package of RB Rice sausage and with some modifications, it's pretty good and inexpensive.

Award-Winning R.B. Rice Zucchini Casserole

1 lb. R.B. Rice Sausage
4 medium zucchini, diced and peeled
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 T. margarine
2/14 cups herb stuffing
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup

Brown the sausage, drain and set aside. Cook zucchini and drain. Saute the carrots and onion in 3 T of butter. Stir in 1 1/2 cup of herb stuffing, soup and sour cream. Gently fold in squash and sausage. Pour into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle on top the remaining herb stuffing tossed with the remaining butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I added chopped red pepper along with the onions and carrots. I also added black pepper and sage for more flavor. Along with the cream of chicken soup I added cream of mushroom soup so that it would be really moist. Also, I didn't bother to peel the zucchini and being the lazy cook that I am, I cooked the zucchini in the same skillet I had just done the sausage in. I just put a little water in the skillet and let the zucchini steam until tender. By the time I was done, this made a very larger casserole.

Have a zucchini recipe you would like to share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm 

Great idea!

I need a new zucchini bread recipe. I've misplaced the one I had.

I don't like zucchini but the spouse does. I usually brush it with some olive oil & balsamic vinegar & grill for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:24 pm 

My husband makes zucchini boats...

Cut the zucchini lengthwise and scrape the insides out with a spoon. Set the "boat" to the side.
In the bowl with the meat of the zucchini, add grated sharp cheddar cheese, browned sausage, chopped onion, and mushrooms. Mix well and scoop back into the skins. Cover each with aluminum foil and grill.

Excellent way to get the kids to eat zucchini.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:32 pm 

PJ- that sounds similar to my recipe, but I use stuffing mix (usually Pepperidge Farm) instead of mushrooms. It usually ends up being too much to put back in the boats, so I make some on the side.

It works well without the "boat" too, if you can't find big zukes. Just chop up the smaller zukes and make just the "innards."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:46 pm 

One of our favorites if zucchini egg fu yung. Grate the zucchini and get as much water out as possible. Then, depending on the amout of squash you have, add an egg or two, some flour to bind, and a can of bean sprouts. Spoon out mixture into pancakes into hot frying pan and cook till brown on one side, flip and do the same. I make a sauce with chicken broth, a little soy sauce, garlic, and thicken it with cornstarch. Sorry I don't have a specific recipe, but I always kind of improvise.

The other one is poor man's crab cakes.....follow any crab cake recipe but add grated zucchini in place of the crab.
Good luck!!