It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a good Deviled Egg Recipe!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:48 pm 

So Easter is in 2 days and I need a quick,easy and preferably low-cal/fat deviled egg recipe. I know, I know i'm asking alot!!! But in return I promise in the next few days to post lots(at least 5) good recipes!!!

Post subject: deviled eggs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:47 am 

yeah what your asking for is like expecting a doughnut to be low cal/fat free.
Your working with protein. Use miricle whip instead of mayo. The reduced or low fat tastes terrible, I think. If you add something like tiny pieces of pickel use dill instead of sweet pickel. You can add horse raddish if your group likes the taste.
I could not resist the comments in my first sentance, but realistically I suspect no matter how you do deviled eggs they will be the least offensive to your low cal/fat objective unless you add suger or someone eats a whole plate of them. They say the average holiday dinner is about 6000 calories. I have never figured out if that includes seconds or thirds.

fly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:18 am 

I have read that you could use low or no-fat sour cream instead of the mayo or miricle whip to reduce calories. To me, you would have to 'zing' it up with spices this way...paperika(sp?), ground red pepper, onion powder, ect...along with relish. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:38 pm 

timesawastin wrote:
I have read that you could use low or no-fat sour cream instead of the mayo or miricle whip to reduce calories. To me, you would have to 'zing' it up with spices this way...paperika(sp?), ground red pepper, onion powder, ect...along with relish. Good luck!

I've heard of the sour cream substitution and I've also heard of using plain yogurt too. I haven't tried either but it does seem you are probably right about having to "zing" it up a bit with those substitutions.

Occasionally, for something different, I like to dice up green olives and use those in place of dill pickle relish in my recipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:18 am 

One of my favorite deviled egg recipes includes either Virginia ham or bacon... chop it up nice and fine and add it to your egg yolk mixture.

I can't vouch for low fat though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:01 pm 

My family goes nuts over these! There really easy to make. They always make me take this to every family get together.

Because they love them so much and we have sooo many family members I always do two dozen at a time. (Yep that's 4 dozen deviled eggs!)

Take the egg yokes and add about a tablespoon of mustard.
Then add about a cup of Miracle Whip. (HAS TO BE Miracle Whip for that tangy zip! - It's the secrete ingred.!)

Just mix well. I have an easy accent decorator - so I just spoon it in and press the button to fill, but you can just spoon it right on the egg. (Alot messer, but just as taste!)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:14 pm 

SO I made the deviled eggs and ended up using greek yogurt and just a tiny bit of miracle whip. And of course mustard, and topped them with Paprika and freshly ground red pepper. I recieved many compliments and was asked for the recipes 3 times. So you can make low cal, low fat, but still great tasting deviled eggs.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 am 

You can also use Dijonaise instead of the mustard and mayo. . . they're pretty good this way too.