It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legal grind ends for woman in dirty dance case
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:36 pm 

Hell, for 275K I'd be ok with the ban too! She must have really done the dirty dog!
:roflmao:

Quote:
MARSHALL, N.C. - Nobody puts Rebecca Willis in a corner.

A small mountain town has agreed to pay $275,000 for banning her from a community hangout after residents complained about her dirty dancing.

Willis, then 56, was told to stay away from the Marshall Depot community center eight years ago
According to court documents, she was accused of gyrating and simulating sexual intercourse with her partner while wearing a skirt so short it exposed her underwear. Willis described her dance style as "exuberant and flamboyant" but not obscene.

She's OK with the ban
She's still not allowed to return to the refurbished train station where she once danced and socialized, but she said that's OK with her.

Her attorney, Jon Sasser, said the town strongly opposes lifting the ban.

"They said they'd burn the place down before they let her come back, so we decided to see if they'd put a monetary price on the right," he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Legal Foundation announced the settlement Thursday.

Larry Leake, an attorney for the town, said Marshall's insurance company advocated the settlement. The town believes it did nothing wrong and would have prevailed in a trial, he said.

Willis said in a statement that the settlement sends a message that the town should allow for diversity and free expression.

"I am very happy with this settlement and relieved that the lawsuit is finally over," she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27703655/

Post subject: Re: Legal grind ends for woman in dirty dance case
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:35 pm 

What a hoot! BTW fairy - I haven't thought about the dirty dog for ages - oh how the adults hated that dance!

Post subject: Re: Legal grind ends for woman in dirty dance case
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:23 am 

I may be old, but not stupid, of course I would take the $275k! That would be a dandy "stimulous" check! lol

Profile E-mail