It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Woody Allen - Dead at age 72
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:43 pm 

Woody Allen (born Allan Stewart Konigsberg; December 1, 1935) is an American film director, writer, actor, comedian, and playwright.

Allen's distinctive films, which run the gamut from intense dramas to screwball sex comedies, have made him one of the most respected living American directors. He is also distinguished by his rapid rate of production and his very large body of work.[1] Allen writes and directs his movies and has also acted in the majority of them. For inspiration, Allen draws heavily on literature, sexuality, philosophy, psychology, Jewish identity, European cinema, and New York City, where he was born and has lived his entire life.

Allen is also a jazz clarinetist. What began as a teenage avocation has led to regular public performances at various small venues in his Manhattan hometown, with occasional appearances at various jazz festivals. Allen joined the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and the New Orleans Funeral Ragtime Orchestra in performances that provided the film score for his 1973 comedy Sleeper, and a rare European tour in 1996 featuring Allen was the subject of the documentary Wild Man Blues.

Mr Allen was found dead at his home in Brooklyn, NY from an apparent heart attack. An autopsy is scheduled for Friday to determine the exact cause of death.

Post subject: Re: Woody Allen - Dead at age 72
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:32 pm 

I didn't realize he was that old!

He certainly was a one of a kind!

Gazza wrote:
Woody Allen (born Allan Stewart Konigsberg; December 1, 1935) is an American film director, writer, actor, comedian, and playwright.

Allen's distinctive films, which run the gamut from intense dramas to screwball sex comedies, have made him one of the most respected living American directors. He is also distinguished by his rapid rate of production and his very large body of work.[1] Allen writes and directs his movies and has also acted in the majority of them. For inspiration, Allen draws heavily on literature, sexuality, philosophy, psychology, Jewish identity, European cinema, and New York City, where he was born and has lived his entire life.

Allen is also a jazz clarinetist. What began as a teenage avocation has led to regular public performances at various small venues in his Manhattan hometown, with occasional appearances at various jazz festivals. Allen joined the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and the New Orleans Funeral Ragtime Orchestra in performances that provided the film score for his 1973 comedy Sleeper, and a rare European tour in 1996 featuring Allen was the subject of the documentary Wild Man Blues.

Mr Allen was found dead at his home in Brooklyn, NY from an apparent heart attack. An autopsy is scheduled for Friday to determine the exact cause of death.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:58 pm 

Where did you find that? I can't find anything about that on the internet anywhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:49 pm 

I can't find any info on his death either. Cruel joke, if it is a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm 

fairylightduex wrote:
I didn't realize he was that old!

He certainly was a one of a kind!

I didnt think he was that old either. He'll be missed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm 

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

"It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry a tune."

"On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done just as easily lying down."

"There are worse things in life than death. Have you ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?"

"It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Are you sure he wasn't eaten by wolves, Gazza?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 pm 

No Gern, he wasnt eaten by wolves...

From Access Hollywood:

Quote:
Allen was found dead in his Brooklyn home on Tuesday. He was 72.

Access Hollywood has learned Allen died of a heart attack. [...]

A rep for Mr Allen released the following statement to Access Hollywood:

We is deeply saddened by the news of Woody Allen™s passing. Wood ye was an amazingly talented and extremely kind man, and an important member of the NAMBLA family. He will be sorely missed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 pm 

Gazza wrote:
No Gern, he wasnt eaten by wolves...

From Access Hollywood:

Quote:
Allen was found dead in his Brooklyn home on Tuesday. He was 72.

Access Hollywood has learned Allen died of a heart attack. [...]

A rep for Mr Allen released the following statement to Access Hollywood:

We is deeply saddened by the news of Woody Allen™s passing. Wood ye was an amazingly talented and extremely kind man, and an important member of the NAMBLA family. He will be sorely missed.

Maybe wolves gave him a heart attack because he thought they were going to eat him?

Oh well. From death comes life though...

http://www.accesshollywood.com/article/11086/jamie-lynn-spears-sends-baby-gift-to-pregnant-bristol-palin/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:37 am 

I haven't seen this on the news, but... As soon as he left Mia for her daughter, which he had helped raise, I quit being a fan of Woody completely. Not sure, but I do think he was around 72... (in that ballpark range anyway). RIP if you can Woody, where is that "special place" for people who marry basically their own daughters?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:28 am 

YEA...THERE IS A PLACE. ITS CALLED H E DOUB.....

Oh wait. Wrong forum.

Woody looked every bit of 72. Was he still with Soon Ye when he died?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:46 am 

You know Gazza, I "think" he was still with Soon Yi, although I cannot confirm his death anywhere on the internet this morning... I think they even adopted (or had?) a child together, but then again, I could have easily just seen that on the cover of the Enquirer while standing in line to pay for groceries!! Now I have an Enquirering Mind, although i won't dash to Dillons to check it out! lol
I will just keep searching. Something I found that was recently printed (like 2 days ago) said something to the effect of "Is Woody Allen Dead?" but, it was referring to the bomb of his last film. Hmmm.. More searching to do, but a busy day ahead, I will look more later!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:15 pm 

Yea, I imagine if it wasnt for the whole Soon Ye thing his death would have gotten more coverge. Didnt Mia Farrow die a few years back?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:47 pm 

Gazza wrote:
Yea, I imagine if it wasnt for the whole Soon Ye thing his death would have gotten more coverge. Didnt Mia Farrow die a few years back?

Maybe Soon Ye wore him out. eeeeewwwwwwww.......

That might explain the heart attack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 pm 

Mia Farrow isn't dead, I saw her recently on Oprah or something. I did look up whether he was (is?) still married to Soon Yi Previn, and google says that he is. I didn't see anything saying he died anywhere, but Woody was kinda weird and maybe would have made a request that if he died he would not want a public announcement. He is definately on my list of odd people!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:23 pm 

Woody is not dead either. still can't find anything and as much as alot of people don't like him, it would have been all over the news by now. cruel cruel joke.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:36 pm 

http://elvispelvis.com/allenwoody.htm

Veteran rock 'n' roller Douglas Allen Woody, a longtime bass guitarist for the legendary Allman Brothers Band, was found dead inside a Queens motel yesterday morning. At 10:30 a.m., a chambermaid found Woody, 44, lying dead inside a room at the Marriott Courtyard Motel on the Grand Central Parkway, police sources said.
The sources said they were investigating the cause of death, and had not ruled out a drug overdose.

Woody, originally from Nashville, TN, joined the Allmans in 1989, along with slide guitarist Warren Haynes, when the group was being re-formed after one of its periodic breakups.

With his thundering bass licks, he carried on the band's tradition of hard-driving, Southern blues fused with rock 'n' roll, regaling millions of music lovers with such revered anthems as "Whipping Post," "Ramblin' Man," and "Jessica."

In April 1997, both Woody and Haynes quit the Allman Brothers Band to devote their full-time energies, along with drummer Matt Apts, to their own group, Gov't Mule, a powerful blues-driven trio reminiscent of Cream, Mountain, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:49 pm 

fairylightduex wrote:
http://elvispelvis.com/allenwoody.htm

Veteran rock 'n' roller Douglas Allen Woody, a longtime bass guitarist for the legendary Allman Brothers Band, was found dead inside a Queens motel yesterday morning. At 10:30 a.m., a chambermaid found Woody, 44, lying dead inside a room at the Marriott Courtyard Motel on the Grand Central Parkway, police sources said.
The sources said they were investigating the cause of death, and had not ruled out a drug overdose.

Woody, originally from Nashville, TN, joined the Allmans in 1989, along with slide guitarist Warren Haynes, when the group was being re-formed after one of its periodic breakups.

With his thundering bass licks, he carried on the band's tradition of hard-driving, Southern blues fused with rock 'n' roll, regaling millions of music lovers with such revered anthems as "Whipping Post," "Ramblin' Man," and "Jessica."

In April 1997, both Woody and Haynes quit the Allman Brothers Band to devote their full-time energies, along with drummer Matt Apts, to their own group, Gov't Mule, a powerful blues-driven trio reminiscent of Cream, Mountain, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Aw that sucks. I like the Allman Brothers band.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm 

delete