It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on FERAL kittens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:49 am 

**EDIT** Okay we have captured 3 of what we now believe to be several feral kittens from under our shed. One female is doing wonderfully and has found a new home. The other two that we have are not doing so great. They are eating hard food by themselves but we can't get near them. They have been seperated and we are getting them out of the kennels every few hours to "towel" and pet them. Problem is, when you get near their kennels, they hiss, scratch, growl, and sometimes bite. We are using leather gloves but I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on taming them. I guess them to be about 7 or 8 weeks old. We really want to tame them and find them homes instead of taking them to the shelter where I am sure they wouldn't stand a chance.

Last edited by saywhat on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on kitten
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:17 pm 

You'll probably have to use a live trap. I think you can get one from the Lawrence Humane Society
• 1805 E. 19th Street • Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone: (785) 843-6835
Hours: Monday: Closed • Tues-Fri: 11:30am - 6:00pm • Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm • Sunday: 1:00 - 4:00pm

Post subject: Re: Need advice on kitten
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am 

Okay, so we finally coaxed it out Saturday evening and put it in a kennel. It was frightened but very friendly and loving after a few times of holding her. My friend came and picked her up yesterday! BUT my husband and I were on the side of the house around 7:30 last night and there were 2 more!!! We had NO IDEA that there was more than one. I felt horrible because I hadn't put any food out for over 24 hours thinking we had caught the only one. So we actually managed to catch the other two as well. They are in a kennel at my house right now awaiting my friends arrival. She is coming to pick them up this evening to reunite them with their sister! Oh, they aren't nearly as friendly as the 1st one though. These two bit and scratched the heck out of my husband.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on FERAL kittens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am 

My friend decided she could not take the other 2 kittys with her 3 year old in the house and them not cooperating. See post above. Looking for any and all suggestions on what to do with these kittys!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 pm 
It will take somone with a great deal of time and patience, and chain maille! :wink:
We have a feral cat we raised from a kitten, he is the most loving cat we have, and a terrific exterminator.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:09 am 

Hi! It is nice to hear about such a gentle spirited person. I captured a feral kitten four years ago. It took a lot of patience. She would hiss, bite, and scratch everytime I touched her for at least a month. I would wear a long sleeve coat in June with gloves, wrap her in a dish towel, hold her tight, and pet her for a while and then set her down to eat, after she was done I would wrap her back up and again pet her. After about four weeks, she would hiss, bite and scratch a little less and a few months later I got her spayed and she settled down quite a bit. She still is an easily spooked cat and doesn't initiate cuddling, but if I hold her tight she will purr away and afterward when I set her down she rubs herself on me. She's come a long way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 am 

Great to hear that you are doing such a sweet thing! I agree with the post above....patience and time is the key. They are probably terrified and will take some time to feel comfortable with you. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:03 am 

UPDATE: One of the kittens is doing wonderfully and my children have talked me into keeping it. It is even using the litter box 100% of the time!!! I am taking it to the vet tomorrow to be looked over and get its shots and what not. It is still getting spooked easily but has not attempted to bite or scratch anyone in over 24 hours. She purrs like crazy when she gets comfy in your lap and she seems to be a total sweetheart! Kitten #2 on the other hand, still needs A LOT of work and love but I think she will come around.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:22 am 

Wonderful news! May be rough beginnings but those are usually the most loyal cats in the end! :yay:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 am 

We caught "Mama Cat" and her 2 feral kittens last year and both of the kittens found homes. We kept Mama and, by giving her time to adjust to us and not rushing it, she came around on her own. After a year we can pick her up, hold her, cuddle her, ect. When we took her back for her yearly check up, the vets gave us a tranqulizer to give her prior and came in wearing leather gauntlets. She was such a complete sweetheart that by the time the exam was over, no one had gloves on and everyone was loving her up. (no hissing, or spitting at all!) So, this Thanksgiving we caught one of her first litter, a 2 yr old truely feral male. Again, with time and patience, he's coming around. He'll let me pick him up, under his own terms of course!, and mooches food with the best of them. He still scratches but that's to be expected.

Just give yours some time and don't force anything on them. Put out good yummy food and then wait for them to come eat and get used to you being there. Get them associated with that and then touch them when they come over. Work your way from there. If we could do it with two adults, you can do it with kittens. Good luck! And if you need an absolutely wonderful vet, Christi Jarrett's people are incredible and they LOVE cats!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:36 pm 

Thanks for all the tips and advice. We kept one of the kittens and found homes for the rest. The one we kept is now an indoor cat and she does wonderfully. You'd never even know she was ever FERAL. She lets my kids carry her around and she is just a little spazz. She has been declawed and spayed and is very much a member of our family now!