It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clinton Lake Drying Up = Need for Sensible Landscaping
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 am 

Stop watering lawns needlessly.

Lawrence should practice water conservation instead of pretending this is not happening. It is up to City Hall to declare such a policy.

Why wait. This problem is not going away.

Perhaps it time to reduce the size of lawns dramatically and covert the areas to very very low maintenance landscapes and veggie gardens both of which require mulching.

I'm sure the landscape industry would love the conversion program. Instead of more mowing the landscape maintenance industry could hire out weed pullers and pruners to manage the new concept.

Water supply may curtail the 24/7 construction of new residential at which point that industry converts to restoration of older neighborhoods.

Post subject: Re: Clinton Lake Drying Up = Need for Sensible Landscaping
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am 

Green Patios, Walkways, and Driveways
Choices in Permeable Pavers

Groundwater is a source of drinking water for many people worldwide. It also nourishes deep-rooted plants and trees. Replenished by rain and melting snow, groundwater has become an endangered resource, partly because of the impermeable materials used in new developments in and around cities and towns. Roofs, roadways and runways, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, patios, and paved tennis courts prevent surface water from seeping into the ground.

You can do your part in addressing these problems by installing permeable materials when building patios, walkways, parking spaces, and driveways. There are many attractive options that will permit water to drain into the ground. Some even help reduce heat accumulation around buildings.

What Are Your Options?

For patios or walkways, consider installing permeable concrete pavers. The pavers themselves are solid, but if they’re spaced correctly, water drains between them. Pavers are placed over a bed of sand or gravel, which filters the water before it percolates into the soil. Permeable pavers come in several attractive styles and are made from concrete or cut stone.

When replacing or creating a new driveway or parking area, consider porous pavers or open-cell concrete blocks. These blocks are designed to support vehicles, but are sufficiently open to allow water to drain through them easily. The spaces are filled with gravel or sand. You can even grow grass in the open spaces, reducing heat buildup.

Another product that can be used for driveways is pervious concrete. As its name implies, this is a highly porous concrete. It is made from aggregate (small stones) and cement, which binds the aggregate together. However, unlike conventional concrete, pervious concrete contains very little, if any, sand. This results in a substantial void content.Pervious concrete is recommended by the US Environmental Protection Agency and geotechnical engineers across the country to help manage stormwater run-off.

What Will It Cost?
Porous and permeable paving products cost more than standard paving materials, such as asphalt and concrete, but they can add value to your project, when compared to asphalt or conventional concrete. Permeable paving is a green feature—and pavers can boost curb appeal.

Dan Chiras, Ph.D., author of this article, is Director of The Evergreen Institute and President of the consulting firm, Sustainable Systems Design, Inc. Dan is the author of Green Home Improvement, from which this article is excerpted, and 23 other books on green building, residential renewable energy, and sustainability.

Post subject: Re: Clinton Lake Drying Up = Need for Sensible Landscaping
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 pm 

I LOVE being awake at night. It’s the time when I feel at my most creative. If I had my way I'd never sleep at night and just take cat naps during the day when I get sleepy.

:!:

Profile E-mail