It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gateway Laptop Power Problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:05 pm 

All of a sudden, my Gateway laptop won't power up when it's plugged in. I just used it like 2 days ago with the power cord, & it was fine. Now...nothing. Today it came right on like normal as soon as I plugged it in, but then I could tell it wasn't recognizing it was plugged in b/c I got the Low Battery warning & then it shut off. Now it won't even come on at all. Is it likely to be the power cord, or the battery or...? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Gateway Laptop Power Problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 am 

This is a common problem with laptops. What likely has happened is where the power jack connects to the motherboard (inside the computer) has come loose. Most likely this connection is to blame, not the power cord itself.

You could send it back to gateway which will be rather expensive, about your only other option is to find someone that will re-solder the connection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:56 pm 

Thanks for the post! I think I figured out though that it is actually the cord/AC adapter. I took it in to Best Buy where I bought it & they hooked it up with their power cord & it came on just fine. I've had the laptop a couple years & didn't buy any service plan with it... so I guess I'll be buying a new AC adapter. Even a Universal one (which I have not read good things about) is about $100. Anybody know where I might find a decent used one? Probably needle in a haystack, I know. But I really can't spend 100 bucks on a cord right now. Any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks Larryvillers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:05 pm 

hi this is the guy you talked to i have a gateway power adapter for $5 you were going to check the voltage and give me a call ....841-0877

Profile E-mail